Ballet Arizona is the Southwest’s premiere Ballet company offering classical and contemporary ballet performances and is dedicated to preserving and celebrating classical dance while creating and commissioning new innovative works.
The Company includes a corps of 31 dancers, under the artistic direction of Ib Andersen. A year-round staff of over 20 provides administrative, production, marketing, communication, and developmental support.
Ballet Arizona’s team environment thrives on placing qualified and dedicated personnel into each team position. We welcome general inquiries and/or submission of resumes. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Current listings for Company dance auditions or staff employment opportunities are listed below, with detailed job descriptions and application procedures when appropriate.
Ballet Arizona is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Box Office Representatives Part Time/Seasonal
Position: Box Office Representives
Supervisor: Box Office Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Box Office Representatives (PT) provide seasonal telephone and in-person sales of individual tickets and subscription packages, as well as customer service to support professional and student performances for Ballet Arizona. Representatives will work at the main box office location near downtown Phoenix during regular business hours, and will also provide in-person ticket sales support at the box office at Symphony Hall, the Orpheum Theatre, the Dorrance Theatre, and the Desert Botanical Gardens on the evenings and weekends of performances.
- Receive and process phone, walk-up and mail ticket sales orders from the public
- Give detailed information about performances to provide the best possible customer experience
- Maintain a high-level of service and helpfulness when serving patrons and internal staff
- Stay current on event information
- Work both independently and in a team environment
- Make outbound calls for group sales, subscriptions, and other promotions occurring
- Must possess strong customer service and sales ability
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail and good judgment
- Must be comfortable dealing with the public by phone and in person
- Knowledge of ballet or the performing arts is helpful
- Demonstrated computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- A friendly personality and flexible schedule are necessary
- Experience selling tickets a plus
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should email their resume and cover letter to HR@balletaz.org. Please note that NO telephone calls will be accepted.
Assistant Teacher – Adaptive Dance
JOB TITLE: Teacher for Adaptive Dance for Down Syndrome Program
DEPARTMENT: The School of Ballet Arizona
REPORTS TO: School Director
Ballet Arizona’s Adaptive Dance for Down Syndrome Program is designed to create a class environment that is sensitive to the needs of students with neurocognitive disabilities while nurturing their desire to dance. Students, ages 5-adult, can engage and explore in a safe and supported studio environment as they develop movement, musicality, and personal/social growth.
The Teacher provides direct creative movement instruction to students ages 5-7 with various neurocognitive disabilities and ensures a safe, challenging, fun, and accessible experience for the students who are part of the program. The Teacher is expected to plan and prepare lessons outside of class time and contribute his/her pedagogical and instructional expertise. The Teacher will collaborate with program staff to ensure instruction is effective and student needs are met. The Teacher will possess strong communication skills and must be willing to work directly with families and caregivers to support the needs of the students in the program. The Teacher must be available to teach on Saturdays and attend any mandatory training/orientations.
Under the supervision and direction of the School Director, the Teacher will fulfill all responsibilities as indicated below in a professional manner fully consistent with the policies and practices of Ballet Arizona and The School of Ballet Arizona.
- Implement program curriculum
- Plan weekly instruction
- Provide direct instruction to all participants that is in line with the spirit of the program, age specific, inclusive, and developmentally and culturally appropriate
- Make accommodations to ensure individual participant needs are met
- Communicate with other staff to ensure cohesive instruction
- Contribute to curriculum as applicable
- Communicate participant needs and outcomes to program staff, families, and caregivers
- Attend all relevant Ballet Arizona and School of Ballet Arizona staff and faculty meetings and teacher training seminars as scheduled
- Perform other duties as requested
There will be a total of (12) Saturday classes, split equally between the Fall and Spring sessions. Exact days and times will be determined through consensus between program staff and The School of Ballet Arizona staff.
It is highly recommended that the teacher candidate plan to shadow current program staff over the summer in June 2019 and July 2019 to observe and learn practical tools for success in working with program participants.
The teacher candidate must plan to attend a mandatory teacher training with program staff in Boston at Boston Ballet from August 3-4, 2019. Ballet Arizona will assume financial responsibility for the registration, air travel, and lodging accommodations for the teacher candidate to attend this training.
- Experience with a variety of dance styles and techniques
- Prior experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Willingness to accommodate various needs and abilities
- Enthusiasm for working with youth and a commitment to students’ growth and development through the arts
- Ability to work with program staff collaboratively to deliver curriculum
- A sensitive and caring attitude towards students and families
- Exemplary behavior management strategies and ability to effectively utilize positive reinforcement
- Knowledge of safe and effective studio practices
- Bilingual preferred
Based on experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Theresa Stack or via e-mail to HR@balletaz.org.
Female Company Dancer
Female Company Contract
Open auditions for the 2019-2020 Season has concluded however we are accepting video submissions for female company dancers.
Video Auditions: Click here to submit your resume, headshot, dance photos, and video link.
We follow the International Audition pre-selection guidelines. They are as follows:
An applicant would be required to submit the following material only:
- A video with no introduction or fancy editing, consisting of the following performed in leotard and tights for women and tight fitting dance attire for men:
- A short classical variation drawn from the standard repertoire danced in pointe shoes by female applicants
- A short contemporary variation (that could consist of something drawn from the repertoire, phrases from classwork or an applicant-created work) that illustrates the applicant’s command of a range of movement different from that demonstrated in the classical variation
- 3-5 minutes of barre work, incorporating both sides, danced in soft shoes by male applicants and pointe shoes by female applicants
- 3-5 minutes of centre work that includes adagio, pirouettes, petit and grand allegro, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants
- A CV
- Ahead shot
- 2-3 dance photos that reveal the dancer’s body proportions and line
For questions please contact Laura Cadieux at email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of phone calls and submissions, please track your package in lieu of calling or emailing to see if we have received your materials. Any materials submitted for audition purposes will not be returned. You will only be contacted by a representative of Ballet Arizona if Artistic Director Ib Andersen is considering you for a position in the company.
Open Auditions - Studio Company
Open Auditions for Studio Company
Auditions for Studio Company are now closed. For questions please contact Jasmine Nunn at firstname.lastname@example.org.